Chicks came early I have no brooder no feeder no waterer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gaited horse, Apr 1, 2009.

1. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    what do I do feed store is closed until monday the other ones are all 2 hours away

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Your first priority is warmth. Do you have an electric blanket. Put it in a box covering only half of the floor area. Or crank up your heat in the car to an unbareable level and take them with you to buy a waterer and food.

3. espressola

espressola Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    River Pines, CA
    Well, I'd get them warmed up as much as possible- put them in the warmest part of the house, dip their little beaks in water, then scoot off to get your supplies- when you say early do you mean a week or more early, or they were delivered a day earlier than you had planned by the USPS? When were they shipped? If they have been 2 days or fewer in transit, just getting them warm and hydrated and in a quiet place should be fine til you get back with your supplies....
    Patty N. ;-)

4. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    First priority is heat. Use a reading lamp or utility light with a 100 watt bulb if you have it. Put the chicks in a cardboard box, or a plastic tote box, depending on how many. Make sure you put down paper towels first, so they can have traction. Get the light way down close to the top of the box. You want the chicks to be warm enough that they aren't all huddled under the light cheeping; that would mean they are too cold. Bring the light closer if they are doing this.

Next, get water for them. You can put some in a shallow bowl or dish and put rocks in it so they don't drown. Dip each chick's beak in the water one by one. Also, if you have corn syrup (Karo syrup) put about a 1/4 cup per gallon in the water. Only do this for a couple hours after they arrive.

Do you know how long since they left the hatchery? This will determine how long they can go okay without food. If it has been 48 hours, then you can scramble some eggs and give that to them until you can get to the store and buy some chick feed.

How many chicks have arrived?

As soon as the chicks are stable, warm, and have a source or water at least, then get to the store and get the things you need ASAP.

Good luck

5. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    3 days ago

6. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    they are loudly peeping i have no food

7. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    it is making me type byc member not April Fool's

8. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    they came a month early

9. ChcknLady

ChcknLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Western Pa
    What hatchery did you get them from? A month early hmm thats strange. You really should be getting them some food. How are they doing now?

10. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    april fools
    but good going

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by