chicks came in, one won't eat, advice?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenman44, May 15, 2008.

1. chickenman44

chickenman44 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Hi all! This is my second time around starting with chickens. I've been on here before under a past name, so hi all!

My shipment of chickens came in yesterday morning, unfortunately 21 of them didn't live through shipping (stupid postal service). 3 are vibrant and healthy, but the other on just doesn't want to eat. I've been giving her water by hand one drop at a time. The first dose i did put a little sugar in it. For the most part she wanders around the cage aimlessly with her eyes closed and just won't peck at the food! Any tips or tricks for getting some food down?

thank you,
    Wayne

2. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    21 died? that is awful how sad. I would immediately call whoever you got them from and let them know what happened. I had a little one that i didn't think was eating right so i mixed some crumbles with a little water to make a paste and fed it that. Do not keep the mix long throw it out and make new. Make small batches at a time hold the poor baby and try to get it to eat. I use vitamins and electrolytes for my new babies for a few days also. Good luck, hope this helps:jumpy:yiipchick:clap:weee P.S. i got the stuff for the water at the feed store.

3. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I did that and mixed a bit of food with lots of water and made a soup that I fed with a dropper.. they are still alive.. [​IMG]

4. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Wow. 21died. how sad. you should have got insurance if they died!

5. chickenman44

May 15, 2008
    After showing the post office what happened and getting nowhere with them, i called Welp up and they are just going to send me another shipment at no charge. I had ordered 25 from them a couple years ago and every one came through fine, zero problems whatsoever. It's nice they made good on it even though it wasn't their fault. I'll try the chick starter paste/soup thing. i missed my class yesterday cuz i wanted to get them drinking and eating, everybody thought I was crazy for staying home with my chickens, guess they just don't understand lol

6. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Good about that!

7. chickenman44

May 15, 2008
    i got her to drink some "chick-starter tea" not sure what else to call it lol. I don't have an eye dropper but a little straw seems to work well. she's chirping a bit but is real clumsy on her feet. her favorite place to sleep right now is under my hand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    She sure is beautiful. Hope the tea works wonders. Good luck.[​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya P.S. so glad Welp is helping you.

9. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    It seems that welp is having some shipping issues there was another topic about a girl whos chicks died from welp only 14 lived.

10. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I lost one, last night - a little Easter Egger. We did sugar water with a dropper, to no avail. I do hope things work out better for you.
    Best, D.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by