Chicks Came Today!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommabice, Feb 23, 2012.

1. mommabice

mommabice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    My chicks are so cute. :) We ordered eight chicks from Myers. They shipped Tues afternoon and got here Thurs morning. Not too bad, and all of them were alive on arrival. The post office let me come get them before they opened, which was nice. I was worried about one but after some TLC and repeated beak-dipping in the water, he is doing great now.

We got: 4 Easter Eggers, 2 Black Australorpes, and 2 Barred Rocks, and hopefully no roos in that. One of the Easter Eggers is almost totally yellow with a couple light brown areas...the other 3 are striped and what not. Is that a substitution or an EE as well? I know they all look different for the most part, so I just figure it will be a lighter bird maybe?

I had to run out and get another brooder lamp b/c the temp was not high enough. Right now it is 92ish between the two lamp (on either end of a long brooder). Does that seem okay or should I cool it down?

A couple of the babies are getting pasty again and again. For the most part the actual vent is clean, but the feathers around it are still yucky. I have not tried to actually dip their bums in water, but I may do that to stop the cycle (since it seems the poo sticks to the feathers that already have poo on them, and build up that way). I may put baby oil or veg oil on the area too...I saw that suggested in several threads here. Penny for your thoughts?

Any way, here are pics of the fluffers.

[​IMG]

All of them wandering around the brooder. I have it opened to the full length now and that divider on the right is gone.

[​IMG]

This is our biggest chick by far, an EE.

2. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Very cute

3. brahmamomma

brahmamomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    so cute! im jealous! my babies cant get here soon enough!!

4. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    Soo cute! [​IMG]

We ordered 6 EE pullets from Meyer last year. One was a pale yellow fluff ball. Today she is a white hen with pale toasted shoulders, looks like a lightly toasted marshmallow, which happens to be her name. She lays the bluest of our blue green eggs. She stands out from her partridge, golden tan, brown and dusty grey sisters. We hope to have some of our EE hens chicks this summer.

They are our favorites, shhh, don't tell the others.

Pasty butt - keep them warm, not hot, make sure they drink and eat, and make sure that they are actually pooping equivalent to the amount they are eating. (OK, they poo much more than they eat. [​IMG] ) Too little poo and the system is shutting down. My DH gave a very small warm water and antibiotic ointment enema, just a small squirt in a syringe, to a chick that had pasty butt, then stopped pooping altogether. Today he is our best rooster. I like the idea of a light oil coating to keep the "paste" from gluing to the chick down. Sounds like you are doing a great job.

1 person likes this.
  5. mommabice

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    We just did a "butt bath" on the four that were having issues. I just ran their bums under a light stream of warm water, cleaned with q-tip, then dried and put a small amount of veg oil around the vent. Hoping that stops the cycle. They seem to be warm, not hot, and are moving around the brooder freely. It is a long brooder, so there are several temp "zones" for them to pick from. They seem to be eating and drinking well, and pooping plenty. I added a small amount (just sprinkles) of chick grit in the feeder, since I read that can help with pasting. They are not chirping like crazy, and seem happy and alert. I am just happy they made it okay...I was worried about the small order size.

6. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    Sounds like your doing a great job with them....[​IMG]~Charm1704

7. mommabice

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    Just an update. The "butt baths" and veg oil around the vent area worked. The oil is gone on most of them now after the night, but no more poo sticking on their fluff. :) yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by