Chicks Can't break through Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kimarmer98, May 1, 2017.

1. kimarmer98

kimarmer98 New Egg

May 1, 2017
    Hi Everyone!

I'm needing some urgent help! My chicks are now Day 25 and we have just had our first chick hatch, but we've had a lot of complications in this process. My theory is that something he been wrong with the incubator and now the shells of the eggs are rock solid and there's no give in them! So the little chick that's hatched had been struggling for 25 hours it had tried to start zipping but obviously was starting to run out of energy because of how hard it was to get out in the end I couldn't bare watching any more and I helped her out and now we have a perfectly healthy chick BUT I want to know if there's anything I can do to soften the shells for the others because I can hear them chirping away and don't want them to struggle too! Please help!!!

2. CityKidChickens

CityKidChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    what I would do is take a knife or something and poke a small hole in the top of the egg so the chick can breath and if it doesn't get out from thst. Help it more and more until you get it out or it gets out itself. do it qick though.

3. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Was your humidity not very high? Hugh mphumidity on hatching days can help.

4. kimarmer98

kimarmer98 New Egg

May 1, 2017
    It's been at least 65 should it be higher?!? Is there anything I can do to help soften the other eggs!

5. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

The humidity could be at 75-80% even. Just make sure the chicks don't get stuck in the egg after it has pipped. :)

6. kimarmer98

kimarmer98 New Egg

May 1, 2017

Oh my god I never new that might be why!

7. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Are you hatching chickens?

If so on day 25 before first hatching temp was too low.

What was humidity during incubation?

I use the low humidity incubation method (dry). Them bump to 70 plus for lockdown and hatch.

But even if you were at 65 should be good for the hatch.

Not sure about hard shells. Should be a little brittle so the chick can bust it to pip and zip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by