Chicks can't find treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GeauxChickens, Oct 11, 2013.

1. GeauxChickens

GeauxChickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2013
    Hello- I just got 2 older chicks from my daughter's preschool- about 6 weeks old and mostly feathered, good size. These are my first chickens. I have tried fruit and Cheerios as treats but both times the chicks don't even peck them- don't seem to notice them as food? They eat the pellets enthusiastically, and hay. Do they have to learn about treats??

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Don't be too enthusiastic about giving chicks treats. They need the balanced nutrition in the chicken feed to develop properly. There's plenty of time when they're grown to provide scratch/treats.
    But you said pellets. Grower rations aren't usually pelleted. Are you feeding a starter/grower or layer pellets?

3. GeauxChickens

GeauxChickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2013
    I probably used the wrong term. I have a bag of what they used at preschool. It looks like lighter colored GrapeNuts with salt in it. Forgive my ignorance, I didn't expect them so soon so I am reading like crazy (with 3 small kids around) to catch up!

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's cool. I always advise to keep it simple till one learns more. The starter/grower crumbles and clean fresh water is all they really need.

5. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Once they reach 16 weeks, give them layer pellets.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. aliciasimon

aliciasimon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    My girls wouldn't eat anything but their starter feed for a long time. They told us at the feed store that they wouldn't be ready for chicken scratch until nearly ready to lay eggs. But now at 5 months they eat everything. I think chicks just know what they can and can't eat.

7. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Scrach and treats should only be given to chickens as 10 percent of thier diet, to avoid egg binding.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by