Chicks can't walk not spraddle leg need advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nonsuch, Apr 6, 2012.

1. nonsuch

nonsuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    I received an order of large fowl Salmon Favorelle Chicks on Tuesday. Immediately I noticed that two of them couldn't walk. Their legs were not spraddled out to the side, instead they looked like they were holding a "bowl" between their legs, with the toes turned in. The remind me of a toddler in a scooter a, that moves around without straightening his legs . I tried the band aide method, but they just layed upside down as if they were "trussed" with their legs in the air. They are drinking, but I can't get them to eat. They were hatched on Sunday. I haven't checked for slipped tendon, but will do that tonight. Does anyone have suggestions. I don't think either of them are going to make it :(

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    take'em to a vet

3. nonsuch

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    Unfortunately there are no Poultry Vets in the area. There was one local Vet, but he retired. The Clinic admitted they know "Nothing about Chickens".

4. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
  5. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    This sounds just like what one of my chicks that hatched today. i am trying the shoes for curled toes. i am intrested to see what everyone thinks,

6. nonsuch

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    I finally figured out what is wrong with my Chicks. (unfortunately, one of them did not make it), they had "slipped Achilles tendons" it's seen when chicks push very had out of the shell, or if they are squashed or stepped on by other Chicks. The treatment is to put the Chick in a "Chick Chair" in which the feet of the Chick hang suspended, but don't touch the ground. I improvised a "Chair" by using a a small sturdy box (no bottom flap), cutting an oval opening in the top, then inserting a facemask into the opening. This mask has two rubber straps, which fit around the box. I cut out the sides of the box, in order to see the Chick's legs. In the facemask I cut three holes, two for the Chick's legs and one for stool. I used the caps from water bottles (turned upside down) and taped near the Chick's face for food and water. I'll take a photo and post it. I'll take the Chick out three times a day to scratch it's back, make sure the Achilles are in the right position, inspect for pressure areas, pasted butt, and to be sure the circulation is still good. I read that it's important to keep them in the "Chair" until the swelling in the legs is down. Also, having their legs hang in. Normal position stretches the Achilles (which shortens when they sit with their legs bent under them).

7. nonsuch

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    I gave up on the "Chick Chair" I just couldn't bear watching it hang in the sling. When the Chick was suspended it refused to eat or drink. As soon as I took it out, it went right to the food and water dishes. Now I' m probably going to have to put it down. She tries to stand on one leg, but doesn't quite succeed. Also, the difference in size among this chick and all the others is significant. The poor baby is only 1/4 the size of the others. This is a difficult decision, since this baby is still eating a drinking like crazy. I know I'm procrastinating....

8. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I know you won't want to hear this but some just don't make it through the first week. It's nature. I watch our forums daily and this hasn't been a good week. I feel your pain. Contact where you got them and let them know, maybe they will send replacements. Best wishes on your little ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by