Chicks can't Walk, Slipped Tendon?

SBFChickenGirl

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2018
View attachment 1667583 View attachment 1667584
View attachment 1667585 I recently hatched my own chicks. The two chicks that are having problems can't really walk and get around by scooching themselves. They can move their legs, but can't stand. One chick had only one leg with this problem, but the other has two. I've been looking and it seems like it may be a slipped tendon. How do you splint this kind of thing? They both cry a lot.
@Eggcessive
@azygous
Thanks in advance.

Here are some pictures.
IMG_20190208_144954.jpg
IMG_20190208_144607.jpg
IMG_20190208_144654.jpg
IMG_20190208_144954.jpg IMG_20190208_144607.jpg IMG_20190208_144654.jpg

You might give this a try. Hold your left hand out, palm up, fingers toward the right, in front of your chest. Lay the chick's belly in your left hand, feet pointing back toward your body, overhanging your pinky finger/palm. Grasp the feet and legs between your right thumb and forefinger. Slowly lower your left hand and let the bird dangle for just a few seconds. Twist your wrist outward, and the bird's reaction should be to lift its head and chest. When it does, you can re-grab the body. This will sometimes "reset" a slipped hip or knee joint.

Have you been giving chick vitamins? Make sure they have riboflavin (vitamin B2) since that helps leg issues. Poultry NutriDrench does not have it.

@azygous They didn't lift their head. They just hung there. How could I splint it? I tried making a splint with a nerf dart, but that didn't work and neither did wrapping vet wrap around the chick and securing the leg in place. Any other suggestions?

Do they seem to have splay or spraddle legs? Have you started the vitamins? I would try placing them in a padded cup to get them standing. How many days ago did they hatch?

Probably a chick sling or chair or cup, as @Eggcessive mentioned. Youreally do not want to splint the leg. You want to get the chick to stand with a little help to strengthen it's legs. I tried to find an image and as much as I love this site, its search function is rather disappointing. Google chick cups, chick chair, or chick sling plus images.

Back
Top Bottom