1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Chicks caught a cold? Or is it worse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redhillfarm, Feb 18, 2013.

1. redhillfarm

redhillfarm Hatching

Aug 18, 2012
    Had some chicks get sick about 2 weeks ago out of the blue when I do so much to keep them healthy. But we did have oer a week of straight cold wet rain and flooding right before they got sick so could it be just a cold? Now 9 of them sound all better and 5 still sound a little iffy. They have a light rattle in their chests.
    Symptoms at their worse were: Chest rattle, sneezing, and a tiny bit of clear nasal discharge. Never lost apetite and held a healthy appearence.

So was it just a cold from the rainy weather and now they are getting better and will be just fine?
    These chicks were 2 weeks old when they got sick so I'm sure that gave them a low immune system for them to get sick but none of the adults.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Songster

Mar 28, 2012
    Try the medicine called Vet Rx if it doesn't clear up. Good luck!

3. redhillfarm

redhillfarm Hatching

Aug 18, 2012
    Can someone please tell me if this is going to be one of those things they carry all their life? I read all the info on this site and they were not as severe as this stuff. They didnt match up to anything.

http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health

4. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Songster

Mar 28, 2012
    It sounds like a respiratory infection. If it is treated, it probably won't be a carrier disease. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by