Chicks cheeping loudly for unidentified reason

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by theawesomechick, Mar 10, 2014.

1. theawesomechick

theawesomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks are cheeping so loudly they can be heard through two doors and a wall. I don't know why, though, they have plenty of food, clean water, and they aren't cold, because they aren't huddling together. It's 65 degrees in their brooder and outside their brooder, so if they shouldn't be hot and if they are, there's not too much I can do about it. They should have enough space, since there are four chicks and about eight square feet of space. They seem to be trying to have an escape movement, since they are charging all the deer netting windows. They keep cheeping as loudly as they can (all four of them) and wandering around, perching on their things and randomly flying around. What's my problem here? They're driving the whole house insane!

2. AStitchofKate

AStitchofKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    How old are they? And they are eating and drinking right?

3. theawesomechick

They're four weeks old, perfectly old enough to eat and drink on their own, without help. I don't know if they're bored, or what, but they keep wanting to get out of the brooder and destroy things!

4. AStitchofKate

AStitchofKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    They might be a little bored, might try sprinkling a treat in there for them to forage around for to keep them busy??

5. theawesomechick

Tried giving them oatmeal. They ignored it.

6. theawesomechick

Well, I ended up darkening the room and they all went to bed. Will post again if this happens tomorrow.

7. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I think they are cold. Do they still have a light they can get under if they are chilled? They should still have 70 to 75 degrees F at 4 weeks old. They aren't completely feathered yet. Even a 60 watt bulb to get under would make them more content.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. theawesomechick

I'm quite sure they're not cold. I'm starting to suspect that they were plain bored.

9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    I agree, with the OP. They can be cold at 3 weeks and 65 degrees. Just a 60 watt bulb should prove if so.
    Best,
    Karen

1 person likes this.
  10. theawesomechick

They're four weeks old, going on five weeks by now. If they were cold, I'm sure I'd know, these are my second batch of chicks. I've discovered the problem: the chicks don't like staying inside the brooder. I solved this by putting them outside in their playpen all day, then bringing them inside when the sun sets and draping towels over their brooder to induce them to sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by