1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks chest butting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickens? not yet, Aug 5, 2011.

1. chickens? not yet

chickens? not yet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Kingman, AZ.
    I have 5 silkies just alittle over a week old. They are running at each other and bumping each other with their chest, it's cute & funny but I don't think they are just try'n to make me laugh! Are they getting their pecking order in line?[​IMG]

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Yep, that's all part of the pecking order.

Too bad so much cute stuff they do is really devious shenanigans. *shifty eyes*

3. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    yes, this is just pecking order and it shouldn't last for more than 2/3 weeks

4. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Yep, pecking order .... My three Pekins (bantam cochins) chicks are the only ones of mine to chest bump. My three bantam Orps chicks are the biggest and just strut around already at the top, my one female Polish chick is too ditsy to care and my one male Polish chick is a sneak and hit them when they aren't looking kinda guy.

5. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 6 that are several weeks old, they don't chest bump but square off like fighting roos. Funny thing is, 2 I am positive are pullets, will do it too.[​IMG]

6. BrownSheep

BrownSheep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Frat boy silkies?....Yep thats what I'm going with

7. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

8. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Ours still do that from time to time and they are 18 weeks old... It is still pretty funny to watch and even more funny when their neck feathers get all fluffed out...

9. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    I have four chicks that are 11 weeks old and my neighbors are watching them while im on vacation and that is their favorite part,when they chest bump. it is funny to watch

10. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    yeah my chickens did this when they were establishing the pecking order. [​IMG] it is totally normal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by