chicks, chicken tractors, and the coming cold weather

forester7

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 21, 2016
New Brunswick, Canada
I have 6 week old chicks that I would like to put out in my chicken tractor until they are old enough to put in with the full grown chickens. The problem is... it is getting colder in my area of the world (New Brunswick, Canada). I am wondering what temperatures chicks this age can tolerate in a drafty tractor? The current average low temperature at nights is 45 Fahrenheit. Of course it is going to continue downward from there. Any thoughts?

It's the drafty tractor and decreasing temperature that concerns me.
Assuming they are fully feathered 45F (7C) is about the limit without shelter and no mother to keep them warm.
My suggestion is to provide a hay bale or section of to provide a wind break and get warm area. They will huddle together when they are cold but wind chill can be a killer for chicks.

It's the drafty tractor and decreasing temperature that concerns me.
Assuming they are fully feathered 45F (7C) is about the limit without shelter and no mother to keep them warm.
My suggestion is to provide a hay bale or section of to provide a wind break and get warm area. They will huddle together when they are cold but wind chill can be a killer for chicks.

Good point.

I was assuming that any chicken housing would protect the birds from the wind, but I shouldn't necessarily make that assumption. :)

I have 6 week old chicks that I would like to put out in my chicken tractor until they are old enough to put in with the full grown chickens. The problem is... it is getting colder in my area of the world (New Brunswick, Canada). I am wondering what temperatures chicks this age can tolerate in a drafty tractor? The current average low temperature at nights is 45 Fahrenheit. Of course it is going to continue downward from there. Any thoughts?
Integration at any age can be a problem, younger is better IMO given the proper setup.
It's not going to get any easier the colder it gets, no matter their age.

Is there room in the coop and run to set up a 'see no touch' section(s)?
Pics of your coop and run would help immensely here.
How many birds in both age groups are you dealing with?

Back
Top Bottom