Chicks/chickens wanted in Maine

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Scratchin' Around, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Scratchin' Around

Scratchin' Around Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2008
    New Sweden, Maine
    I'm new here, but hoping you guys can help me. I had 22 10-week-old chicks, who were really thriving. On Friday afternoon, something weasely (a mink or fisher, we think) came through and wiped out 12 of them, and terrified the remaining 10. We'd planned on going into winter with 15-20 hens, and a couple extra cockerels in the freezer. I'd like to "re-grow" the flock, but no one I've checked with around here has even one extra bird to spare.

Does anyone in Maine have some extra birds/chicks? Breed and age are not hugely important, and we'd be willing to travel some, if need be.

I'm so disappointed in losing them, and the yard is so quiet and lonely now.

2. Dogwoman

Dogwoman Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    [​IMG] Just a note if you dont secure your coop and yard , you will lose more. What ever got the first ones will come back for more. I am in Rochester NH and also just bought land in Rangeley Maine. I have 50 chickens and a few too many roosters. My roosters are young 2 are 5 months and the rest are 4. Your welcome to some of my roos but I dont want them dinner.lol Bonnie

3. Scratchin' Around

Sep 2, 2008
    New Sweden, Maine
    We're working on securing things more thoroughly. I love my birds, and I'm really devastated that they're gone. I don't want to lose any others.

4. Dogwoman

Dogwoman Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    I am not sure where you are but we head to Rangeley mid week to clear the land. I have a few rhode island roos and a few barred rock roos around 4 months. I just want a good home for them. None are nasty at this point and I am looking to home them. Bonnie

5. Scratchin' Around

Sep 2, 2008
    New Sweden, Maine
    Bonnie,

Thanks for your offer, but we're way up in Aroostook County (between Caribou and Fort Kent). I have a neighbor headed to Bangor and Augusta this week, but he won't go too far off the beaten path.

6. howlingwoodsfarm

howlingwoodsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello and welcome.
    We live in Dover-Foxcroft,By sebec lake. Still a bit away from you way up there. I might have some birds that I could sell you fairly cheap. We went a bit overboard this year with getting new birds for the flock and could spare a few for you. I also have 2 Blue laced red males which hatched april 2008 which I am trying to rehome but these guys are pretty ones so I'm hoping they don't have to be eaten. If interested I could take a head count and see what exactly we could spare. All but two of my hens are hatched april 2008 or after. I would say most are 15-18 weeks old with a few younger ones. Let me know. (p.s. we had our own problem dec 4th a mink got 8 chickens, killed 1 duck, mauled the other duck, she survived, but the mink did not. we had to kill it, that was a long night spent in the coop, but we got him. we did have to do a total coop overhaul and have not had any problems since, but that is a horrible day in having chickens to discover that massacre)

7. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there,

I am so sorrt for your loss![​IMG]

I live outside of Augusta and have some roos and a barbabanter trio to give you. I am 10 minutes from 95 and would be happy to meet your friend.

The barbanters are wonderful and getting close to laying age. I am just trying to have less diversity. The roos are sweethearts and gorgeous. One is an EE mix. I also have a pair of breeder qulality cuckoo marans cockerals that will throw you some very dark eggs. They are 5 weeks and will be gogeous.

Pm me if you are interested.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  8. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  9. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    hey we live in Jefferson maine not to far from augusta and have some roos a lakenvelder a barred cochin bantam and a easter egger dad auracauna that we would love to rehome pm me if interested

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by