Chicks chicks and Roos??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by really4me, Mar 20, 2015.

1. really4me

really4me Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    So, my bigger and more aggressive Baard Rock might be a Roo but they were all pullets supposedly. They are 3 weeks old. This one is bumping chests, flapping wings, and just randomly picking on the black sex link and Lace wing. They then gang up and pick on just one, usually the black sex link. HELP, is this normal?

I separated the1 week Leghorn and Silky from the 3 because of age and their size. Now I'm kind of worried about how to put them back together. The larger ones were scratching around so much the water was gone almost immediately and they little ones couldn't reach the hanging waterer so I put them in their own box. Should I have done that and what is the best way to house these growing girls? I have the 3 in a long box that a trampoline came in. The other 2 younger girls are in a large plastic crate. I'm almost ready to take the Barred Rock for a long walk, but she or he is getting feathers and they are so pretty.

2. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    It's still a little early to tell a hen from a roo, my hens all chest bump and spar with each other. I was worried that all of mine would be roos lol. I did end up getting one roo out of my 10 hens.

3. really4me

really4me Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    Tnx, I thought it was too early too but I'm new to raising chicks. The more aggressive one seems to be growing so much faster and getting a lot bigger too. I've read this sparing is just showing their pecking order so it's normal. I just put them into a larger box and they seem happier with the new space already. My challenged now, how to keep all the shaving from clogging up their water every hour! This is turning into quite a project[​IMG]

4. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA

Try raising the water on some pieces of wood or bricks. That worked for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by