1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks, chicks, everywhere chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by panner123, Apr 12, 2007.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I came home from a short trip to find the yard FULL of nany chicks. I knew my hens were nesting for we haven't been having but one egg every day or two. And my ladies would not go in the coop at night, they would hide. Each hen (15) has about 7 chicks, plus I now have 2 more hens than when I left. By my rough count I have just over 100 new mouths to feed. I think the new hens are my neighbors, a bear got in his coop about a month ago. This will give him a new start.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

What a great surprise!! BABIES!! Woohoo!! Did you say.....a bear??? Where are you located??
    What kind of chickens are they? Ohhhh I bet they are sooo cute running around with the mommas. [​IMG]

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    What a fun sight it must be!!
    Uh..the chicks and their moms...certainly not a bear!
    Hope you can post pictures, it would be so cool!

4. panner123

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Yes, a bear. I live between Sactamento and Reno, in the foothills. I have all the normal peditors, coons, possums, birds of prey with bobcats mountian lion and bears thrown in to keep me on my toes. Eletric fence around my chicken yard now.

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    [​IMG] I'm such a wuz, I'd put electric fence around my house!!
    lions, hawks and bears! Oh my!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. panner123

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Once in awhile an animal will get in a house, the worst of all is a coon. Believe me they can do some damage. My house is guarded by two every capable guards, called Smith & Wesson. (hehehe)
    And YES it is legal to kill an animal in Cal. if it is threating your life or your animals. If you don't kill it at the first time it happens, you need to get a speacial permit from Fish & Game and/or have the state trapper come out to help you trap or kill it. There is NO relocation rule here, every animal trapped is put down if is trapped.

7. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I, too, would put the electric fence around my house, LOL.

chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by