Chicks chirping and wiggling, day 19, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lilaby Babys, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Lilaby Babys

Lilaby Babys Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    Chicks just started wiggling at day 17, and 18. I feel a bit paranoid because Im hearing chirping everywhere even nowhere near the chicks. I guess I'm really excited. But anyways is day 17 too early for them to be wiggling, are they going to hatch early. If so what are the side effects and what could be the cause. Btw, it is now day 19 should I expect them to hatch today or atleast pip?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Day 18 should be 'lockdown' and time to increase the humidity. I'm not a hatching expert - have you been to the Learning Center tab - head for the hatching info.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lilaby Babys

Lilaby Babys Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    I haven't been there but that is a huge amount of help thankyou very much, I will read up

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Relax. Keep the humidity up and wait. It's pretty common for eggs to start rocking at about 17 days. It does not mean they will hatch early. It can take a day or two for the chick to get into position to hatch. Then they need to rest up so that they have the energy to break into that air cell, that can take a whole day. Then they rest again and adjust to breathing air, that can also take a whole day. Then the break through the shell. At that point, the blood vessels will begin to recede and the yolk sac will finish absorbing. This usually takes about 12 to 24 hours. Then, the chick will finally begin to zip and hatch. It is very, very important not to be in a rush to get the chicks out. You can do far more harm than help if you intervene too early on.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by