Chicks, cold snap, and no heat

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
I moved 10 baby chicks to a brooder that's located in my goat house. The chicks are around 2 - 2 1/2 weeks old now. They have about 50-75% of their feathers. The night time temp this evening will only be in the mid-60s. Currently I do not have any heat source for the chicks set up because there is no electricity in the goat house. This is the chicks first night outside (I had them indoors previously). Do you think they will be OK without heat? They are safe from drafts and bad weather where they are located. Looking ahead to this weekend, the night time temp will drop into the low 50s. Will they be OK at this temp if they are nearly fully feathered?

They seemed to do OK last night but it didn't get very cold. However I am really nervous about leaving them with no heat source if it gets any colder. The night time lows tonight will be closer to 60, then move up to the 70s until the weekend when it will drop into the lower 50s.

I've been using a MHP with them so they are not used to a heat lamp. I wouldn't want to use a heat lamp anyway simply due to fire risk. I'm using the MHP for the abandoned chicks I have indoors who are only a few days old. If the temperature is too cold for the older chicks, then I'll simply need to move them back inside to the inside brooder for the night.

Does the coop stay warmer than outdoors? I moved my chicks out to the coop at 2 weeks and I removed the heat pad on the third day because they weren't even using it at night when its 50-60f. If not, and supplemental heat isn't an option, I'd recommend moving them back in for now.

Does the coop stay warmer than outdoors? I moved my chicks out to the coop at 2 weeks and I removed the heat pad on the third day because they weren't even using it at night when its 50-60f. If not, and supplemental heat isn't an option, I'd recommend moving them back in for now.
Yes...I believe so. My brooder is 2 ft x 4 ft and won't fit in my main coop so I have it in my goat house at the moment. There are several hens who are sitting in there in some old nesting boxes so the chicks are being "introduced" to the adults. However, I had hoped to move them into my main coop but I need to make some changes to the current layout so the brooder will fit. It's going to take me a week or two to make the changes. The only reason why this matters is because I *DO* have power in the main coop. Just not the goat house. I think it is a few degrees warmer in both the goat house and the main coop than it is outside. But given that I won't have enough time to make the construction changes by the weekend, I'll probably just move them back inside for a few days. The main reason why I moved them outside was because I had 5 baby chicks who were abandoned by their mum and I needed to move them indoors. The older chicks were kind of running them over. They couldn't eat or drink without being harassed. Hopefully by the weekend, this won't be such an issue that I can't mix them together for a day or two?

The main reason why I moved them outside was because I had 5 baby chicks who were abandoned by their mum and I needed to move them indoors. The older chicks were kind of running them over. They couldn't eat or drink without being harassed. Hopefully by the weekend, this won't be such an issue that I can't mix them together for a day or two?
For the bigger ones, maybe you could bring them in just for the night, and not provide a heat source. "House temperature" should be warm enough for them.

So you might be able to put them in a dog crate or something, instead of combining them with the little babies. If they are inside only to sleep, they do not need as much space, and they might not even need food and water indoors, depending on how early you put them back outside.

Of course they need enough room to run and play in the daytime, but they could do that outdoors instead of needing a big place indoors.

Except for one, all the chicks have feathers on their backs and wings. They are still all fuzz on their heads. Some have a few feathers on their chests but they are generally sparse. The one exception noted above...that chick only has part of the feathers on its back & wings. Still mostly fuzz.

What's the lowest temp you think these chicks could safely tolerate? 65 degrees? They are all huddled together for warmth. They have a thick bed of shavings. No drafts. Their brooder is located at the back of an 8' x 10' goat house with the only opening (the door) being south-facing. I walked in there this evening and it is definitely warmer inside the goat house than outside.

Anyway, thanks @NatJ for the suggestion. I do have a big tub that I use as an infirmary and have used as a brooder in the past.

Back
Top Bottom