Chicks come on wednesday...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenchalupa, Feb 12, 2009.

1. chickenchalupa

chickenchalupa Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    I have chicks coming on wednesday from IDEAL and I want to make sure i'm not missing anything. What is the first thing I should do when they come? How big does the brooder need to be? Do I need to add sugar to thier water? Stuff like that. Thanks in advance!

2. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    The night before the chicks were due to come I made sure the brooder was ready, bedding in, feeders and waterer clean, dry and ready to go, everything where I wanted it, fresh heat lamp bulbs, and heat lamp and thermometer placed where I wanted them...everything was ready, filled the feeder...etc. When I got the call at 6am Monday, I turned the light on so it would be warm when I got the chicks home, filled the water, and went to go get 'em. Brought them home, and as I took each one out of the box, I dipped its little beak in the water to make sure it got a drink. They all went to eating and drinking right away. Then I left them alone. I kept an eye on them of course, (oh, I took pics, and set out the gro gel that we opted to give them). But I figured they had been through enough stress in shipment, I didn't want to disturb them anymore the first day than I had to. I just watched them from overhead, and pretty much let them be.

We got an additive from the hatchery to put in the water for the first few weeks, and used the gro gel the first day, but I have seen people mention here about using poly-vi-sol, a children's vitamin supplement, in their water if you wanted? We just ordered "Quick Chick" from McMurray.

Good luck!

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I've only been on here for 2 wks. I just kept reading all the post i could and read the instructional provided here from the home page. We just got our first chicks this morning and had a problem with one. First thing we did was post here and had a ton of help in 10 minutes. The little fuzzy butt is doing much better and i think my wife will recouperate as well. lol Just read as much as you can and you will do fine.

4. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    You got great advice above. Just wanted to note that we did do the sugar for the first couple of days last year, because we didn't have any of the vitamins or electrolytes.

It seemed to work fine.

We're picking up chicks on Wednesday, too! Yay!

5. chickenchalupa

chickenchalupa Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    Thanks for all the advice! I'll put it to good use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by