Chicks coming in July

faustfowl8313

Hatching
Apr 2, 2015
Hi there! I'm new! My husband and I are getting our coop this weekend! It's second hand but in great shape and comes with a run .. Previous owners had 18 standard size chickens in it .. We are planning on starting out with 6.. They are due to arrive the week of July 21st( due to vacations in early summer) we are getting 2 buff orpingtons, 1 barred rock, 1black australorp, 1specklef Sussex, and one Easter egger..I would love any advice anyone has:)

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your impending chickens :celebrate I too started out with a second hand coop and run with my chicken journey and they are still going strong today.
Here is the getting started raising chickens section of the learning centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens
It has lots of great articles for getting going with your new chickens. I would make sure your coop and run is fully predator proof so your birds will be safe.

Wishing you the very best of luck and be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 on be sure to check out the Learning Center, sounds like you are putting together a nice little flock!

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC! Yorkshire Coop has given you great advice!!

Welcome!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined BYC.

Sounds like you'll be getting a nice flock! All of the breeds you've picked out have well-deserved reputations for good egg production and temperaments. Out of your list, I've only kept Easter Eggers, but I've really enjoyed mine.

I suggest taking a look at the Learning Center: Learning Center Articles It has lots of good information on all aspects of keeping chickens.

Good luck with your future flock!

welcome-byc.gif
So glad you have joined us.

You have already been given suggestions to visit the learning center and to make sure the coop and run are predator proof.

Congrats on your adventure. Good decision to wait til you have time to tend the new chickens.

Good luck on your new, fun adventure.

Feel free to ask questions, we're here to help.

You have time to learn how to care and manage your flock and ready their home before the arrival.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. You have some great breeds coming. Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, and Speckled Sussex are all very calm and gentle breeds. My children made lap pets of them. Be sure that your coop/run is predator proof with hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. There are too many predators that can tear through chicken wire, or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Hardware cloth has saved chicken owners a lot of tears. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. What is a vacation? I haven't had one since May 1984 but, who's counting? Do you have someone that would look after your flock - when you take other vacations? If can be hard to find conscientious caretakers.

Back
Top Bottom