chicks coming in mail

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oliviad51, Jul 12, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I ordered chicks from a website (5 Silver Cuckoo Murans and 7 more Ameracaunas) and they should be here in the next week or so. We got lucky last time we ordered chicks..we snuck them under a RHR hen and she raised them. Im sure it was just luck though. I was thinking about getting one of my favorite hens (shes a little bantie) and sneaking the chicks under her.
    Are banties good mommies? Im afraid since she is so small, she is not going to be as protective as a standard breed would be...I have never had a bantie hen hatch out babies so I don't know.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know if it works, if the hen isn't "broody." You might put the chicks near her where she can see them but not hurt them., and watch her reaction.

3. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I wasn't sure if it would work either...tomorrow I might put her on like 3 eggs and see if she will try to hatch them or not. She tried to "go broody" earlier this summer but we didn't need the chicks so we threw the eggs out..(they werent developed yet). I wonder if she'll try now if I let her.[​IMG]

this is a picture of the hen I was talking about

4. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    here is another pic [​IMG]

5. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    oh and does anyone know what kind of bantie this is??

6. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Does she have feathered legs? Very pretty! If she has gone broody before try sticking the babies under her while she is sleeping at night. She might be more likely to accept them, but keep a close eye on her until you know for sure!

7. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    ok, thanks. and yes, she does have feathered feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by