Chicks coming soon

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GableBabble, Feb 22, 2012.

1. GableBabble

GableBabble Ninja Chicken Herder

May 27, 2010
    The chicks I ordered from Cackle should be here before the weekend, and I am like a child at Christmas..... I am normally all groggy and in MUCH need of coffee in the mornings as the kids are shuttleing off to school. This morning, however, I was wide eye'd and bushie tailed.
    I might sound a bit silly, but with all the losses we suffered this past year.... the chickens, my Dad passing, then my Mom passing just the 4th of this month..... I am looking forward to the new babies. They will give me something to do, as well as lift my spirits.
    Hubbie has even jumped onto the chicken craze and ordered some Saipan chicks from Ideal. He is so tickled with himself and building them a new coupe and run. He started it last night as soon as he got home from work. I think the cows are afraid we got more pigs, as they watched his movement until dark when they got bored with him and went to bed.

I need some prayers for patience and maybe some suggestions as what to do with myself to get my mind off the babies coming.

2. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I bet they come tomorrow! How many are you getting and what kind? Are these your first chickens? OH I am exited for you!

I am excited in my own neck of the woods too. I ordered my first bator and have hatching eggs on the way too! Can't wait!

3. GableBabble

May 27, 2010
    I hope they do :)
    We are getting 25 Silkies, all different colors. 10 EE's, and 5 Speckled Sussex. Cackle says they send extra of the breeds you ordered for warmth and to make up for any losses you might have.
    These are not our first chicks or even chickens :) I have a strong love of chickens and I can never seem to get enough of looking at them. They are all different in many ways. Funny, smart, silly, and some are like a box o rocks :p When ever we goto the flea market I am always looking at the chickens, never touching, just looking. Some are beauties, some in poor shape, but all equally interesting.
    The Saipan will be a new breed for me. My husband had some as a teenager though. I am a not really at all knowledgeable in the breed and need to do some research before April, when Ideal says they should ship out. He got 3 Roosters and 6 Pullets.

Congrats on your eggs and bator! We have a little giant incubator, but we do not use it much. Our family is always asking for fresh eggs. Our Wynadotte is all ready laying. I've gotten 5 eggs from her so far, she started laying Saturday.

PS. Your Pyrenees pup's are soooo cute :)

4. GableBabble

May 27, 2010
    I got the call at 5am this morning :D All the babies are happy peepers. I ended up getting: 27 Silkies, 11 EE's, and 6 SS. The only thing that concerns me is alot of the silkies are really tiny. One of the ones who is supposed to be a black I think, has a black top and solid white under side (from the beak all the way to the butt). I wonder just what he is going to look like.
    I'll post pic's later today when I dig out my crappy camera :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by