chicks constipated WITHOUT a pasty butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joneus, Dec 2, 2011.

1. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    HELP!!!!

My 2wk old chicks appear- for lack of a better word, constipated... but without a pasty butt. Their abdomens are swollen and hard, they all have a hard lump over their breast and their crops are full...

WHAT DO I DO?!?!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Why are they constipated? You didn't give enough info. What are you feeding them? Do they have plenty of water? Are some chicks preventing others from getting to the water?

You might try about a tablespooon of molasses in a gallon of their drinking water. I'd also give some probiotics.

3. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    I'm not sure why. They have plenty of water, are eating medicated starter and were doing normal chick type stuff. The next thing I knew, their crops were huge and one had a really hard abdomen (down low, near her butt). I gathered that a full crop (to the point of looking like they'd had implants!) was normal and I wouldn't normally freak out over that, but they were all doing a distress cheep & acting agitated, the one with the hard abdomen was straining, and only one of the others pooped in the span of an hour.

I gave them all a few drops of veggi oil mixed with acidophilus powder, massaged their crops, then massaged the one with the hard belly for what felt like for EVER (but was probably closer to 15 or 20 mins). She finally pooped in my lap a little while later. The others seemed to have settled down by then and there were fresh poops in the brooder, so I figured they were okay.

This morning, everyone seems to be fine and their crops are a whole lot smaller. [​IMG]

Thanks for the suggestion of the molasses. I'm sure that will go over better than the oil!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'd also make sure their temperature in the brooder isn't too hot as it might dehydrate them.

Here is the recommended temperature for chicks:

90-95 degrees the first week and decrease by 5 degrees per week until fully feathered (even their heads) usually at 6 weeks.

In winter I give them heat until at least 2-3 months depending on breed- in the form of a 100 watt bulb to get under in the shed, after they are weaned off the higher heat at 6 weeks.

5. OrpingtonHopeful

OrpingtonHopeful Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2009
    Flockwatcher, can you tell me more about the use of Molasses in the waterers?

I have a hen who is eggbound or an internal layer- She is not pooping regularly either- I have been giving yogurt, fresh lettuce from the garden, water with baby vits, scrambled eggs with shell, oyster shell, and putting olive oil in the things I can (mainly the eggs and yogurt)

If Molasses helps loosen up the digestive tract to allow for poop- that might help here too- How do you use it?

OP I am so glad your chicks are doing better!!!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by