Chicks & Coop off ground

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Land of Lost Toys, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Land of Lost Toys

Land of Lost Toys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm getting ahead of myself on this one as my first broody is on eggs now, but I need to be prepared for when they hatch. I did not move my broody because she's top hen and she has no desire to leave the box she picked. I feel good that she can protect the chicks once hatched and figured the integration with the other hens would be much better this way, so I left her there.

Here's my dilemma: The coop is off the ground with a ramp. How do I protect the chicks once they are running around in the coop from falling out of the coop? I need to leave the door open with the ramp for the other 2 hens to get to the run because it's too hot to leave them inside. Any ideas? Ramp with railing? I have no clue, but at least I have a few weeks to figure it out. Anyone have a set up this way who raised chicks?

2. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    Yes, my coop was off the ground and we had a ramp going to the pen, momma showed the babies the ramp, some fell off, but soon learned. As long as its not several feet off the ground I wouldn't be concerned. [​IMG] Happy hatching!

3. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    We added siderails to our ramp. Nothing fancy, just strips of 2x4's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by