Chicks crackling and sick please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crzyckldy, Aug 28, 2014.

1. crzyckldy

crzyckldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    North Carolina
    I have 6 silkie chicks , one week old ( bought off craigslist). They are in a brooder in my garage. The brooder is wooden with a wire top and pine shavings as bedding. Ecoglow heater. Chickstarter feed and I keep their water fresh. Now to the problem.... they sound very "crackly " when they breath, some seem weak and shake their heads a lot . One died 2 days ago! What could it be & what should I do?????

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Sounds like a respiratory problem...oxytetracycline antibiotic is good for respiratory issues BUT..if they do have a respiratory disease they would be carriers for life...regardless of any antibiotic saving them at this point....

Maybe you should speak with the supplier to establish if any others have had breathing issues....

Hopefully somebody else will have further suggestions for you to help with this ....

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm also guessing that they have a respiratory disease. If it wasn't for the fact that they seem sick, it would have been possible that it was just too dusty or there was a high ammonia level. However, since they are acting sick, its likely a respiratory disease.

I'd start antibiotics, personally. Duramycin, Terramycin, or Erythromycin would be good antibiotics to try. You should be able to find at least one of them at a feed store or livestock supply store. Keep in mind though, that if this is a viral respiratory disease, the antibiotics won't treat it.

Respiratory diseases will make birds carriers for life, so keep that in mind. Some people choose to cull all their birds when they experience a respiratory disease outbreak, while others treat it and hope it doesn't come back again.

4. crzyckldy

Jul 28, 2014
    North Carolina
    One important thing I left out is that one reason I got these is because I had a lonely chick and so like a dummy I put him with these! He is the chick in some earlier post of mine that had the air sac problem, which the air bubble seems to show up about every other day & then go away? He doesn't crackle . Seperate him? Treat him too?

5. crzyckldy

Jul 28, 2014
    North Carolina
    Someone please help!!! These chicks were doing good but then I noticed one gasping for air today. I decided to give it Tylan 50. I started checking the other 5 chicks in the same brooder and they all sound crackly and their crops feel very large and squishy!!!! What could be going on???????

6. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    Your babies need a vet ... but if that's not possible, there is a thread on feeding/watering board about natural antibiotics. They are claiming good success with oregano and cinnamon. We've been successful with olive leaf extract when our hen had pneumonia.

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    It definitely sounds like Aspergillosis. Aspergillosis is a respiratory disease caused by a fungus that infects the lungs. It is usually transmitted to birds via contaminated eggs or incubator. There is, unfortunately, no treatment to this disease. Culling is recommend to prevent further spreading to uninfected birds. BE CAREFUL, Aspergillosis creates a human health risk if you inhale the spores of the fungus or other contaminated places it could cause Allergic Bronchitis, or in extreme cases, a fatal infection in the lungs. Let me know if you have further questions about Aspergillosis, this is the main disease that I study so I know copious information about it. I hope your chicks get well soon!

8. crzyckldy

Jul 28, 2014
    North Carolina
    Oh no really??? I have 2 kids , should I keep them away? I also have other chickens . These chicks are in a brooder in a detached garage. I hatched one of these chicks myself and the others I bought off craigslist. So this disease can make their crops feel all squishy and full?

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think you are dealing with a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) or coryza. Aspergillosis from fungus usually does not produce noisy respirations like you are describing--it produces silent gasping, but not chest rattles. Make sure that you have excellent ventilation in your coop, and that it is not too hot, and litter is clean and dry. Please read this link about some of these diseases, their symptoms, and recommended antibiotis: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  10. crzyckldy

Jul 28, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the link! So... If it is one of those diseases that leaves them carriers, does that mean I have to always keep them separated?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by