Chicks Crazy Over Their Treat!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrstillery09, Mar 16, 2012.

1. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Well, my chicks have been having occasional treats. They weren't too thrilled by a few things I gave them, but then I tossed them some blueberries and they went CRAZY over them. Thought you may appreciate the video!

**Sorry for the background noise, I didn't even think to mute the TV!!**

2. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    You will see similar behavior in full grown birds as well. One birds grabs a treat and the others try to take it away. The one that has it runs around trying to keep it away from the others. Always funny to watch.

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    x2! Great fun to watch.
    I find they also love grapes, but sometimes they can be too big even for the grown chicken. Doesn't stop them from trying to swallow the monstrosities, they LOVE grapes...

4. chicksandkids

chicksandkids Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    We took our oldest babies outside today. My daughters found some worms, which they gave to the chickens. Hilarity ensued! It was like "keep away" for chickens! And heaven help the stray bug that landed in their box. Good times.

5. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Awesome!! Thanks for the video!! Don't want you to think I'm hyjacking your thread, but I took vid of my chicks trying meal worms for the first time - same reactions as yours, only I only have 4 in there. Thought we could make this a vid threat for crazy treat eating chicks! :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    That's a good idea, I'd sure check in from time to time. Very cute! :p

I wish I'd taken a vid of my chickens pretty much smashing apart a solid block of dirt for the worms. It was hilarious, I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by