Chicks cried Until

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7L Farm, Sep 21, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I was working on the hot wire. Which I can't get to work. The chicks were crying to get out I finally let them out. Their happy but I'm not cause I can't get the wire to work. Its grounded but my ? is if the wire is hitting the chicken wire does that cause it not to work? Please explain.

2. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Can someone help. I've never worked with an electric fence.

3. southpaw52

southpaw52 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    7L, the "hot" wire cannot touch anything except the insulators. Anything else will ground it out and then no "hot".
    Hope this helps,
    Anne

4. Desert Peep

Desert Peep Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I just fired up my hot wire a few weeks ago and I love it. My dog Bella, who wiped out my last flock of 8, touched the wire once, ran into the house and refused to go outside for the rest of the day. I think she got the message. I attached my hot wire to a chainlink fence using these insulators that I got at fishock.com. They clamp onto the fence and hold the wire about 4" away from the chainlink. I hope this helps.

5. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Your "hot" wire should not be touching any other wire,post,building,etc. Also,on grounding,you should have the groung rod in as moist as possible soil. I drive my ground rod under the overhang of the shed roof where the rain makes a ditch of sorts. It helps to have the ground rod on the north side of a building where the sun never hits(look for moss or mildew on the siding).

Hope that helps!
    Larry

6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Thanks.I'll get some longer insulators .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by