Chicks crop seems to full. Need advice!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rhino533, Aug 14, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    My 1 month old chick has an extremely full crop and it doesn’t seem to be getting smaller. She looks really uncomfortable and she isn't nearly as active as she usually is. She'll walk around a bit and then stop and close her eyes. She can fine and has no struggle to take a breath. So I'm guessing it's just her crop that has a problem. Could it be something stuck in it? How to clear her crop or help the food move through her system? Thanks for any postings.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Try adding some Apple Cider Vinegar to her water. 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon, make sure it has the mother in it. Then in the morning check it out and see if it's still full, it should be rather flat after not eating all night. Does she have any nasty smelling order coming from her mouth?

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    How long has your chick's crop been this way? Does it fill up during the day while the chick is eating and empty overnight so that it is smaller in the morning? If yes, your chick may just be overeating during the daytime, and there may be no problem with the crop. Or is it large all of the time? Is your chick eating and pooping normally?

4. rhino533

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Quote:She usually eats during the day and her crop emptys at night but for the last 2 days it seems her crop isn't emptying as like it normally does and I just checked her and her crop feels so hard and is huge. I'll watch her today and see how she is pooping. Can I give her a little bit of olive oil to help her crop clear?

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:She usually eats during the day and her crop emptys at night but for the last 2 days it seems her crop isn't emptying as like it normally does and I just checked her and her crop feels so hard and is huge. I'll watch her today and see how she is pooping. Can I give her a little bit of olive oil to help her crop clear?

Some people use olive oil with bread to try and get the crop moving. try sopping up some bread [small amount] with oilve oil and feed it too her.

6. rhino533

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Quote:She has no bad smells coming from her mouth. I'll try the apple cyder vineger. I just bought some last week so I have it around the house. She is only a month old and her crop is about 3/4" to 1" round and hard like a rock. She seems really unhappy.

7. rhino533

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand

Some people use olive oil with bread to try and get the crop moving. try sopping up some bread [small amount] with oilve oil and feed it too her.

Can I try both apple cyder vineger in the water and some bread with olive oil?

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yep, just be sure to only give her a small amout of bread soaked in the olive oil. Then don't give her nothing else till morning. to eat that is. If she doesn't have a bad smell then hopefully it's not sour crop. See how her crop feels in the morning and post back.. what kind of feed do you feed her? does she free range? what treats do you give?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  9. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Thanks for responding, Miss Lydia - I didn't know the answer to this question lol [​IMG]

10. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I doubt it would be impacted, but if she's not pooing normally and it isnt getting smller, you might want to read up on impacted crops. She mightve been eating her bedding or straw, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by