Chicks crops swollen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sutillman, May 19, 2011.

1. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    I am giving my chicks grit, but their crops are really swollen. Any ideas about what else I can do?

2. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    You could try massaging their crops and giving them a drop or two of olive oil.

Are you allowing them to eat grass or somthing like that? If so I might back off on more fibrous stuff for a while.

3. sutillman

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    They are only 3 weeks old so all they are getting is chick starter. I'll try the olive oil and see if that helps.

4. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Oh...if they're just getting the chick started then I wouldn't worry too much. The massage and olive oil should do fine. [​IMG]

5. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Swollen crops are normal. At least as long as we are talking full and they are eating and pooping like they should. Giving oil and crop masages could cause problems when there really was not a problem to start with.

As chicks often have 24h food and light there crops seldom get empty like regular chickens and given their little bodies and sparce feather the crops can look huge.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:x2...probably just full crops - they can get pretty bulgy...perfectly normal. If you want to be sure, put their food up tonight and check them first thing in the morning. Bet their crops won't be "swollen" any more [​IMG]

7. sutillman

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    Ok, I'll try withholding food tonight before I try anything else. They sure are eating alot, so maybe that explains it. I've never had this happen in all the chicks I've hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by