1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks Dead In The Shell. What Happened?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dangerouschicken, Sep 1, 2008.

1. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Can someone explain what happened to my unhatched chicks? I had two fully-formed chicks that did not pip out and died inside the shell. The eggs were a little on the small side, so did they not have room to use their beaks?

The humidity was sort of wack. It was reading 40% on day 19, so I poured in more water and it went up to 80%! When I did have one zip out, it was all sticky wet from the humidity. Was that what also killed the others?

I used a Genesis 1588 with automatic egg turner (which was removed on Day 18). Only 3 eggs hatched out of 12. This was my first hatch ever.

2. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    [​IMG] anyone????

3. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Humidity would be my guess, especially if you noticed the anomalies.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have had both happen, too much humidity and a chick that was too large. The chick that was too large really took up most of the air cell. If it looks like your air cell is normal size then I would not think an oversize chick was the problem. Sorry it didn't work well for you

Krista

5. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Thanks for the info. I think the air cell was too small, actually. The chicks looked too big for the shell when I cracked them open to see what happened.

6. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    I accept it now as law of averages, just one of those things that happen .

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    DC- I am on day 17 with some showgirl eggs and I am holding my breath that they hatch. The eggs have to be the smallest I have had in my bator (and I have had frizzles and silkies) and the air cells don't look big enough at all [​IMG] . What kind of eggs did you have and were they shipped?

Krista

edited to say-yes, it is one of those things that just happens, unfortunately [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  8. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    If you aircells were small, that could be an indication of too much humidity. My humidity ended up all wacky with my last hatch and I had several aircells that were small. I am sorry that you lost them. I know how sad it is to loose any of them, but it is even harder when they are fully formed and they have absorbed the yolk and still don't make it.

9. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    sorry to hear of the unsuccessful hatch DC!

10. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    I'm so sorry you lost some of them. [​IMG]

I just had a hatch of buff silkies this week & I had the same problem with three of them. I felt badly about it & wondered what could have gone wrong, too.

My humidity did the same thing as yours, too...that must have been why, then. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by