Chicks die in power outage!

Poultry keeper12

Songster
Mar 27, 2018
Hey, I have had my power out for two days, I finally got it back, the bad news was i was raising baby chicks, we had received news that a wind storm was about to hit, and I was aware of that until the power went out, the first chick died the first hour ( it was having difficulties with birth defects,) that was probably the reason, with the cold, and we live in the north country so it gets cold during the night, the second chick died a few hours later,:( so the question is should I risk the chance and get more from Tsc? or wait until May or june? Thanks

Until you have an reliable alternative heat source I wouldn’t risk it even in July. New chicks need to be very warm for the first few weeks. 95 degrees first week. With areas they can come and go from that heat source.
ex r.jpg

Times like this is when having a broody hen is invaluable. If you had an apron with big pockets - you could try wearing it with baby chicks inside. They would get some heat from your body. I know a vet assistant did that for orphaned puppies.

I live in a cold rural area with old power lines that's apparently not a priority for the power company. First year we lived here, power went out for hours not once, but two times during one incubation... Imagine the panic!
We invested in a small generator, and have since bought a big one too, that can essentially run the whole house. I used the little one just last week actually, hooking up just the incubator and the comfort heating plate for the one week old chicks. For us, that generator was an invaluable investment!

A hot water bottle - provided you have a wood stove or gas, something you can heat water with -works in a pinch. Or stuff them in your shirt, but that’s just a short term solution. I would get a generator before getting chicks. Or get pullets and hope for a broody. Buff Orpingtons tend to go broody, right?

Back
Top Bottom