1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks die on day 18

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cwesson, Aug 28, 2013.

1. cwesson

cwesson Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    chicks die on day 18 why

1 person likes this.
  2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    this can be caused by a lot of things, so i need to ask some questions.

what is your brooder setup? and what kind of bedding?
    medicated or unmedicated starter, where do you buy it?
    are you hatching yourself, or buying from another source?
    do the chicks act cold?
    what does their manure look like?

3. cwesson

Jun 26, 2012
    I am sorry I did not make my self clear day 18in the incubator

4. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    im assuming your talking about chickens.

what kind of incubator? automatic turner?
    are the eggs shipped, or your own?

5. cwesson

Jun 26, 2012
    Gqf1502 with turner eggs are shipped

6. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    ok, i know the incubator well.... are all the shipped eggs coming from the same place?
    have you calibrated your thermometer? even if you have the digital model, they sometimes arent accurate.

how are you controlling your humidity?

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You might look through this article. It’s got some good stuff in it.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/eggs/res24-00.html

One possibility is that you have them upside down. If you incubate with pointy side up so the air cell is on the bottom, they are not likely to make it.

Did you turn them the first two weeks? If they are not turned properly they can die in that third week. Body parts may not form in the right places and when they have to depend on those body parts, they die. Turning affects other things too, like membrane development. I know you said you have a turner so this is almost certainly not your problem, but I’m not afraid to ask a silly question.

I’m not familiar with that incubator, forced air or still air? If it is still air, another possibility is that they could not breathe. They need a fresh supply of oxygen through that porous shell. If you have the plugs in so there is no air circulation, they may have died from lack of oxygen. This is not important the first week or so, but late in incubation it becomes very important.

Did you calibrate your instruments so you are sure the temperature and humidity were right? Don’t trust the thermostat that came with the incubator. It could easily be off and you may need to adjust it. Humidity is important too.

That’s all I can think of right now. Good luck figuring it out.

8. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    i can answer the incubator question some. seems they went offline its a forced air cabinet, 3 turning trays, hatching area on bottom. it turns every 2 hours. i have 3 of the older units with wafer thermostats. with the wafers they all hold temps very well as long as the ambient temp is above 50. if i remember right the 1502 is a fully digital unit and i hear of problems every now and then with the readouts. im thinking its temperature.
    they do have some issues with humidity, especially with the automatic humidity system (optional). i use 7x10 cake pans in mine, i add about 3-4 cups of water each day around 5 pm - 3 on rainy or wet days, 4 on dry days. it usually dries out around 3 pm. this fluctuates the humidity between 50% and 35% with our average summertime conditions. if i add more water it jumps above 60% pretty easily. i didnt mention, this is with all vents open. when i add the water, i use the manual turning switch and turn the eggs one full rotation stopping back where they were originally.

if all the eggs came from the same farm, it could be the way they are shipped; or a nutritional issue on that farm. possibly even illness.

ridgerunner - here is a closeup of eggs set in one of mine, its the only pic i have to help you on the incubator. - i hadn't thought about them being set upside down- Great call!
    [​IMG]

i call mine sportsman cabinets if that helps you to know the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by