1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CHICKs die out of no where

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedJungleFowl, Mar 7, 2013.

1. RedJungleFowl

RedJungleFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    SO i have a baby chicks its always chirping all the time so i put a heat in there it stills chirp and then one day when i came home from school it die and it was kinda wet and it was small i think it was only 4 day old or 3. So can anyone tell me y it die. [​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I've experienced something like this with chick crumbles that are too big. I grind them now. Gotta make sure they're eating. Is the heat lamp the right temperature?

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    It sounds like your chick either got into its water bowl and either drowned or got wet and became chilled. the other possibility is that it aspirate water into its air sacks, resulting in pneumonia. Either one is quickly deadly to baby chicks.

You mentioned the chick being wet. Was only the head and neck wet or was the whole chick wet?

This would get me to wondering if a snake had constricted the chick and finding it too large to swallow had spit it back up.

Telling us where you are posting from may help someone figure out what went wrong. Good Luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. RedJungleFowl

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    Yes.

5. RedJungleFowl

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    First it was only the head and neck and i live in mn st paul.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by