chicks dieing fast

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jacoblipford, May 2, 2011.

1. jacoblipford

jacoblipford Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    I started out with 13 RIR straight run chicks had em 2 weeks went to the feed store to get some dog and horse feed and they just got 30 ee pullets in from ideal i tried resisting but i ended up with 5 more of them 3 dark colored ones with chipmunk stripes and 2 white ones i didnt put them in the brooder with the rir since they where about 7 weeks old keep em all in the brooder until the ee where 6 weeks old put em in the new pen outside which is a chainlink dog pen with a top and a above ground box they go in at night well not thinking clearly the ee where small enough to fit thru the chain link found that out when my hound brought one to me unharmed well i fixed that problem come home a couple days later there was a dog some how he got 2 ee and a rir didnt take long before he died of lead poison every day i go out there there is one or 2 dead now im down to 8 rir and i think their all roos maybe one pullet going tomorrow to get 19 welsummers and 10 barred rock and maybe some black sexlinks praying for a better outcome

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You need to fix the problem before you go get more chicks.

3. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Get some 1/2" hardware cloth and secure it to the bottom 3' of the chain link. They wont get through that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by