chicks dieing

Greengrad

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2018
My first attempt is not working out so well. Received my 12 comet chicks and within the first day lost two. Second day lost three more. Today I am down to three and looks like they will not last the day. Have a cardboard box 3x4 w/pine shavings in bottom newspaper on top of it and paper towel. Have heat lamp hanging into one end and water and food located in other end. Do I have something toxic going on?

:yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
Jump right in and make yourself at home.
What is the exact temperature in your box?
It may be too hot.
Any signs of Coccidiosis?

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

Just checked bulb. Doesn't say anything about teflon on box. It is a Philips Red 40 250 watt

If they're in a box in your house, I think that 250 watt bulb is too hot for them. How big is the box? Can they get out of the heat if they want? Do you ever see them under the lamp, or are they as far away from it as they can get? Watching your chicks is the best indicator as to whether they're too hot or cold. If they're away from the lamp, it's too hot. Huddled under, they need more heat. Scattered about the brooder - they're happy. When I have brooded chicks in my house, I have used just a regular 100w light bulb. If they're out in a coop, then a heat lamp is good.

What temp is the heat lamp at? How old are your chicks? Are they showing any symptoms of illness? Have you checked for common illnesses such as pasty butt?
:yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
Jump right in and make yourself at home.
What is the exact temperature in your box?
It may be too hot.
Any signs of Coccidiosis?

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!
Kept temp at 90 degree. Chicks received from Tractor supply by mail arrived on 20th. Ten was ordered 12 sent and 2 were dead on arrival. Noticed pasty butt on one today and cleaned same and noticed pooping afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom