chicks dieing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Greengrad, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Greengrad

Greengrad In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2018
    My first attempt is not working out so well. Received my 12 comet chicks and within the first day lost two. Second day lost three more. Today I am down to three and looks like they will not last the day. Have a cardboard box 3x4 w/pine shavings in bottom newspaper on top of it and paper towel. Have heat lamp hanging into one end and water and food located in other end. Do I have something toxic going on?

2. ChattyChickens4Life

ChattyChickens4Life OCD (Obsessive Chicken Disorder)

Oct 1, 2017
    What temp is the heat lamp at? How old are your chicks? Are they showing any symptoms of illness? Have you checked for common illnesses such as pasty butt?

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Is your bulb Teflon coated? Those have proven to be toxic to chicks - and adult chickens.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    By any chance are you using a bulb with teflon coating - they are very toxic to chickens, the heat causes them to give off fumes?

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Great minds, Diva!

6. HuskerHens18

HuskerHens18 Songster

Sounds like a Teflon coated bulb, I believe they're labeled shatterproof on the box.
    Clean out their waterer to make sure nothing toxic got in that.
    Are they huddling?
    Are they spread out?
    Peeping loudly?

7. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Reading. Must read more. Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    :yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.
    What is the exact temperature in your box?
    It may be too hot.
    Any signs of Coccidiosis?

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

Joeschooks likes this.

8. Greengrad

Greengrad In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2018
    Just checked bulb. Doesn't say anything about teflon on box. It is a Philips Red 40 250 watt

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Free Ranging Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If they're in a box in your house, I think that 250 watt bulb is too hot for them. How big is the box? Can they get out of the heat if they want? Do you ever see them under the lamp, or are they as far away from it as they can get? Watching your chicks is the best indicator as to whether they're too hot or cold. If they're away from the lamp, it's too hot. Huddled under, they need more heat. Scattered about the brooder - they're happy. When I have brooded chicks in my house, I have used just a regular 100w light bulb. If they're out in a coop, then a heat lamp is good.

sourland likes this.
  10. Greengrad

Greengrad In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2018
    Kept temp at 90 degree. Chicks received from Tractor supply by mail arrived on 20th. Ten was ordered 12 sent and 2 were dead on arrival. Noticed pasty butt on one today and cleaned same and noticed pooping afterwards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by