chicks dieing :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nikki1496, Feb 27, 2014.

1. nikki1496

nikki1496 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    Yesterday we got our order of 25 bantam chicks from cackle hatchery and they were fine but come maybe 7-8 pm we had a dominique chick die and this morning two more doms were dying, a blk silkie died and idk whats wrong :/ help?

2. chicken farmer8

chicken farmer8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2014
    are they drinking and eating

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like they are suffering from shipping stress. Make sure the brooder has a 90 degree area (check with a thermometer) on the floor, and a cooler are if they get too hot. Start some electrolytes immediately--use SaveAChick packets for water, Pedialyte, or the following homemade solution--dip their beaks into it, and spread some chick crumbles around their feet on paper twels to get them to start eating. Check for pasty butt once a day. Homemade electrolytes:

1/2 teaspoon salt substitute--skip if you don't have it
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water--can make smaller batches​

4. nikki1496

nikki1496 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    Most are eating and drinking one chivk with spraddle legg i dont think is. we have lost 4 in less then 24 hours the rest seem ok but most of the black silkies just seem to wanna lay there and sleep

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by