Chicks dieing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Summerfaith2, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Summerfaith2

Summerfaith2 Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2015
    Hi i have not recived my chicks yet but i have heard that most likely 1/3 of them will die in the beginning so i ordered 30 have any of you who have done this many times wigh chicks agree that this estamate is correct. I ordered mine from my pet chicken in ohio and im in ny

2. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    Out of the 52 chicks I raise at a time and I have only lost 2

1 person likes this.
  3. kmartinez

kmartinez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    I think it is who u order from as well. I did alot of research on hatcherys reading their reviews and weeded out hatcherys with large amount of bad reviews on DOA or chicks dying with 24 hours of arrival. i ordered 16 but got 18 i lost one to my own fault.

1 person likes this.
  4. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    If that many are dying, something went VERY wrong in shipping. Very, very wrong.

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This. My mortality rate with hatchery chicks over the years has been under 5%, averaged out. Mostly dual purpose and Cornish cross chicks, but some bantams also.

Don't order when it's very cold or very hot. Extreme temps either way will kill chicks quickly. April-June is the best time for me.

Sometimes you possibly could simply get unthrifty chicks that would not have lived no matter what. In that case, or if you lose that many to shipping stress, the hatchery should replace the dead chicks. Communicate with your hatchery, most have great customer service and will be glad to work with you.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I'd been told the same thing, but that has not been my experience. Over the past 4 years, I've placed 4 orders for approx 30 chicks (total) and all arrived safely and grew to be healthy adults.

A lot depends on the hatchery and when they're shipped. I always order between April and June to reduce the likelihood of shipping mortality. I've had good success with both Ideal and Meyer Hatchery.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by