Chicks DOA

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mikee1948, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Mikee1948

Mikee1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Wednesday 4 of the 5 chicks I ordered arrived DOA. Transit took one day from Ohio. So the company sent me 4 other chicks yesterday, and they're not here today, meaning that now the transit time is almost 2 days. I don't have much hope for them either.

2. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I am so sorry. I too have lost chicks that took too long in the mail. It seems to me to be such a waste. All that time and effort to raise them and still no way to get them faster or make the P.O. smarter. Hope these new ones have a better journey. The weather is cooler now. That may help.

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    [​IMG] that's the pits. I sure hope the others show up soon though!

4. Oktober

Oktober Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Quote:Who did you order them from? My Pet Chicken? I just recieved 4 chicks from MPC yesterday and while the all made the trip, one of them was looking pretty bad and we found her dead in the brooder this morning. It really is a shame.

-Okt

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you think it was the heat??? I have a large order (33) coming From Meyer in Ohio in two weeks. They are 400 miles from me, but with the heat of July, no telling how it will turn out. I am worried.

6. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    That's a real bummer.

7. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    That is very sad.. i have mine coming from another place soon and now i am worried.. I hope you get your babies and the are all ok

8. Swbuda

Swbuda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Temple TeXas
    Poor Babies..[​IMG]

9. Mikee1948

Mikee1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Okay, they made it here in reasonably good shape this morning. They were disoriented for a while, till they discovered the chick feed and some water, and the heat lamp. The lone survivor from the first batch started in on pecking them until the new four ones perked up a bit, then they gave it back. Ordered from Chickens For Backyards.

10. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Glad the second time around was better for you. Good Luck with your little ones. Got pictures?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by