Chicks don’t seem to want starter

Moby75165

Songster
Jul 31, 2019
899F3B71-2E58-4C94-85DF-DEA14557BFFB.jpeg
3B7AB7E0-930E-4B54-9A1B-246D6C21CE9A.jpeg
my chicks are about 10 weeks old and have slowed way down on eating the starter food I’ve had them on. When I put grass, Strawberries, Kale in the coop they go after it pretty good.

Should I move to chicken feed over chick feed?

Last edited:
Thanks Debbie,
Can you tell me around what age I move to adult feed?
Dobie! Or DL or Tonya.

I keep my flock on Flock Raiser. It offers better protein levels and prevents feeding too much calcium to birds that do not need it (prior to POL pullets, roosters/cockerels, hens in molt and on winter break).
I keep a full container of oyster shell hanging next to the feed troughs for the active layers.

Yes, stop feeding them treats and just have their feed out for them.
Do you have grit for them?

You can keep them on the starter feed until they start laying, then you can change to a layer feed if you want to. I feed 20% non medicated starter grower from day one and never change. I have oyster shell in a separate container for my laying hens. Others on here feed an All Flock or Flock Raiser all the time and have oyster shell in a separate container.

A couple things I noticed in your set up. Raise the feeder up to back height of your chicks, this prevents billing feed out. Get rid of your heat lamp, it's not needed at their age. I'm glad your coop is still there and didn't catch fire, that lamp looks real close to your bedding.

Thanks for all the great advice from everybody. I’ve pulled out the heat lamp, will raise the feeder, and start introducing grower food mixed with the same starter food. And definitely lighten up on the treats. Going to find some oyster shells somewhere and add them to the coop. I’m still giving them starter check great. Everybody on this site been very helpful.
I appreciate you all

View attachment 1887125 View attachment 1887126 my chicks are about 10 weeks old and have slowed way down on eating the starter food I’ve had them on. When I put grass, Strawberries, Kale in the coop they go after it pretty good.

Should I move to chicken feed over chick feed?
I had this same issue and it actually was because it wasn't ground up fine enough for their liking lol I put mine in a food processor to grind it down and they went crazy for it. I'm not sure why, but that may be worth a try. I also agree be careful not to overdo the treats! Fresh greens and veggies are always great on a daily basis with their crumble but the strawberries and yummy fruits should be 1-2 times a week max. I was offering my chickens scratch feed with their layer crumble and they ate a lot less of the crumble and it negatively effected their eggs. Now I only offer it to them as a treat 1-2 per week.

Back
Top Bottom