Chicks don't swim

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stargazingmommy, May 11, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Just a word of warning to new people like me...Chicks don't swim.
    AKA don't put the ducks pool in the same pen with the chicks.

2. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    Well, did they survive the dunking? I'll lay awake all night wondering if they survived now!

3. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:No, it was just one of the chicks. we are down to 2 chicks and 2 ducklings now.

4. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    I'm sorry for your loss. That is sad.

Thank you for the warning. I assumed they would stay out of the water.

I saw a documentary once of an eagle that went broody. She had no mate, and wouldn't give it up. So her caretaker gave her some duck or goose eggs to hatch. The eagle was over joyed and hatched them out and tore up meat to feed them, very very gently. When they got out of the nest, the babies marched over to the pond and went for a swim! the mother eagle was horrified! and kept wading in the water trying to call and herd them back to shore. but the babies were having a great time swimming.

Maybe the chick thought, "if the ducklings can do it, I can to."

5. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:oh how cool is that...I can just imagine what was going through the eagles head...That is not the way we catch fish get out of there right now wait till your father get homes. I said out. NOW.

The sad thing is...the ducks only hang their heads over the side of their pool to drink. They get in if thrown in. The love the big pool though(human one).

6. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    Quote:oh how cool is that...I can just imagine what was going through the eagles head...That is not the way we catch fish get out of there right now wait till your father get homes. I said out. NOW.

The sad thing is...the ducks only hang their heads over the side of their pool to drink. They get in if thrown in. The love the big pool though(human one).

[​IMG] HA! Love the eagle thought!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by