Chicks don't want new feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wegotchicks, Mar 10, 2017.

1. wegotchicks

wegotchicks Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    I have 4 black sex links. 4 weeks old. The Manna pro medicated I was giving them is not available near me. I switched to Natura and also bought a new feeder for them. They were knocking the other smaller feeder over all the time. The new feed seems bigger and harder than the Manna Pro. It is still a chick feed medicated. They don't want to eat the new feed unless I grind it up slightly and put it in the old feeder. Will they eat the bigger pieces eventually or do I need to go back to the old feed?

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    They're old enough to eat coarser feed. Grinding it up will help transition them to the new feed. Part of it is the new feeder. Chickens all detest change. Detest it! Sprinkle a little bit of the feed on the ground. They always find food that is on the ground waaaaay more tasty. It's how chickens roll.

3. wegotchicks

wegotchicks Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    They are going into their coop and need a sturdier feeder than the tiny brooder one. How do I get them to use the new feeder? Get rid of the old one completely or offer both for a while? Maybe ill just offer the coarse feed in the old one and the ground feed in the new one?

4. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Do not give them a choice, feed them the new feed in the new feeder they will figure it out.

I don't really know, new here chicks are 26 days away but I figure they will get hungry and eat.

Gary

5. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do what Gary recommends. The chicks will adapt soon enough. They aren't going to starve.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Agree with Gary. This is not directed at OP, but at all chicken keepers in general: simply feed your birds. Unless there is something drastically wrong with the feed, give them the feed, and walk away.

1 person likes this.
  7. wegotchicks

wegotchicks Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Ok, thanks everyone!!

8. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    You could try feeding the " new feed" from your hand , I love doing that . You get to bond with them and they always think I have a treat when I sit down with them .I also have a few different feeders for variety.

The others are right chickens are chicken about change !!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by