1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks driving me nutts

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by john in wa, Apr 4, 2009.

1. john in wa

john in wa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    i have my first 2 chicks in a box in my bed room. the last few days they have started pecking the side of the box. omg they are driving me nutts. just when i think i am about to go to sleep peck peck peck like a wood pecker. i watched them and they were both standing there side by side just going to town like they are trying to peck their way out of prison. i know this is funny but im really getting tired lol think i will go sleep on the couch. i have them in my room because we have indoor pets that would love a tastie tender chick. and i feel my room is safe.

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Mine are in my bathroom in a cage, with a baby gate across the door. I have 4 dogs that would LOVE to have a chickie snack. Don't think I could possibly sleep with them in my bedroom-they make waaaay too much noise, and get shavings everywhere. I end up with shavings on my socks, in my bed, even in my car. I will be happy to have them go outside!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  3. john in wa

john in wa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    I use news paper. I used shavings last spring and what a mess. all over the floor in their food and water and hard to clean up. the news paper i just roll it up toss in garbage and unfold a few sheets and put it in the box and presto im done.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    My 2 1 wek olds are in a tucker tote in my claw foot tub-near my bedroom-my 2 cats and 2 dogs are waiting for their time to play with them..lol...I shut all doors when I go to sleep-NO one can get near them or hear them!! My bator with 38 eggs are on a high bar room table-my fat cats cannot jump that high to knock them off and my chiuaua and cocker spaniel puppy not even close! hahaha---

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:Don't you get poopy feet?

6. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Don't you get poopy feet?

Yes and young chicks and newspaper don't match very well; since newspaper is so slippery, it can cause splayed legs. Yes, it's easier to clean up, but not good on new chick's legs.

We have newspaper sheets under pine shavings. When it's time to clean up, we roll the newspaper up with shavings inside and though it out. takes some practice so you don't spill much shavings though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by