chicks due to hatch in 1 week, can I add to brooder with 3week olds???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by teresa-78, Sep 22, 2010.

1. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Hi, my new chicks are due to hatch in 1 week, I have 3 chicks in the brooder who will be 3 weeks old when these chicks hatch.. will it be ok to add the new chicks in with these, or should I make another brooder for the new chicks??? thanks for anyones imput before hand. [​IMG]

2. Celiandy

Celiandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    I usually have a separate brooder at least for the beginning so the little ones don't get picked on right away when they're weak. 3 weeks seems like kind of a big age difference. If they are bully chickens, maybe I wouldn't do it, if they are sweet you could always try it and see if they get along. You'll have to keep it warmer for the babies and make sure that the older ones aren't too hot. Good luck!

3. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    depends on the size too, standards or banties?
    You could try them together, but be ready to make a new brooder...sounds like you have chicken math too lol

4. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    well they are silkies and polish.... I was not suppose to get anymore eggs but they came up so erm I sort of excepted them for pay for a male runner lol.... I dont mind at all building another, just thought I would check before I did so... and I am sure if I go into my garage I would have something in there to use as a brooder, its like alladins cave in there lol... thanks anyway,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by