Chicks dying after being found on their backs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bantamduck, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Bantamduck

Bantamduck New Egg

Oct 27, 2010
    My baby chicks are hatching but so far I have lost 2 and a third isn't looking so good. For some reason they are flipping on their backs about 12 hours after hatching and they I find them dead. I don't understand. They look great up until then but once they start flipping on their backs they do it over and over and over again. The ones I have found doing it I will find on their backs dead within the first 24 hours. What is going on. Can anyone help me?? I can't watch them 24/7. I check them often but I don't know what to do.

2. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    They should not be suffering any dehydration or in need of food as they can last about 3 days after hatching, they get what they need from the egg. - so you can quickly rule out that. I think it sounds nurological???? Do you know where the eggs came from???? Sounds like developmental issues or some kind of infection? - I would be thinking - history of these eggs???? Is there a disease in the flock they came from????

Oesdog

3. Bantamduck

Bantamduck New Egg

Oct 27, 2010
    They came from my flock ... I am NPIP certified and have had no issues with my flock at all. They are all health. I just wanted to try and hatch some on my own from my chickens. I don't know what to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by