Chicks dying at time of hatching.

dayers1109

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 4, 2013
I have a broody hen that did a really nice job hatching out and raising a few chicks early last fall. This spring she was sitting on a few eggs then left and started sitting on eggs on another nest. The eggs she abandoned had partially developed dead chicks when we opened them. Today she of the second nest and it looks like several clicks started to hatch and died. This was in the coop and it has been pretty hot and humid here. It looks like one partially developed egg broke several days ago and was rotten. Also, lots of flies around. Was that maybe why the others died? It looks like 4 were fully developed and stated to hatch but died before they were completely out. These are eggs from different hens and were laid about a week apart. They are 4 that are still unhatched. I'm going to clean out the dead ones and freshen up the nest and watch the others for a few days. We were worried it would be too hot, when she started nesting but decided to leave her to it and see what would happen. I'm guessing the heat and humidity were the problem. Any one have luck naturally hatching this time of year? We would appreciate comments and ideas. Hopefully she'll give it another shot this fall.

Attachments

• 20180621_181123.jpg
    20180621_181123.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180621_181123.jpg
    20180621_181123.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom