Chicks dying can't figure out why PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blitz1027, Dec 24, 2011.

1. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Please anyone that has any idea I need advice. I got 25 bantams from Ideal in October so they are now 2 months old. About a month ago one of my chicks would stumble and fall every time
    it tried to walk and it would keep it's head down. It finally got so bad that I had to cull the chick because it got to the point where it couldn't stand at all anymore. About a week after that another chick started acting the same way and then another. I had talked with a guy who works at TSC and raises chickens and he said it could be coccidiosis. He sold me some medicine to put in they're water called tetracycline. Well here we are about month after I started medicating they're water and I had to get rid of 3 more chicks that died through the night and I have 2 others that aren't looking good.

If anyone has any idea what could be killing my chicks PLEASE HELP:hit:hit:hit

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    It could be cocci; it's present in most soils everywhere. I lost almost 75% of a group of chicks to a bad case of cocci once, but mine tended to huddle down, feather's ruffled and heads tucked. If you picked them up, they were thin and there were bloody stools. Tetracycline won't affect cocci, it's not a bacteria or virus, it's an oocyte. You need either Corid or Sulmet in their water and to keep their living area as clean and dry as possible.

The "head down" and listlessness you're describing could be cocci. I'd try treating with a proper Cocci med. Once I treated mine with Corid, the sickest ones still died (they were too far gone), but the rest got better. Now I feed medicated chick starter to help fend Cocci off before it starts.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:x2! Its an easy fix if you catch it in time-early on....

4. blitz1027

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Yeah thats how they are acting. they've gotten lethargic with they're heads tucked in and feathers ruffled. I haven't noticed any blood in the stools but I have been having to clean poop off of they butts alot lately. It just seems to cake on there.

5. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    well, if you're treating for cocci, and it's been a month, then i'd say obviously your issue isn't cocci.

you have a vitamin deficiency. what are you feeding them? please be specific.

it sounds exactly like a b vitamin issue. i didn't know a drunk chick was a symptom of cocci to begin with.

anyway, again, it sounds like you have vitamin issues (probably b). if you post what you are feeding them, we all can assist.

eta: also botulism has those symptoms.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  6. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    I would also say vitimans and mainly E. I was loosing them left and right and thought cocci and brought 2 in the the lab for tests and it was lack of vitiman E. They were drunk or could not stand. I hit with vitimans and every now and then I have to give a vitiman E shot to a few that get it. good luck!
    Quote:

7. blitz1027

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    I'm feeding them Dumor chick starter. Also they didn't all get sick at once just one or two at a time and they will get around for a couple of days then they get where they can't stand and just flop onto they're sides.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  8. eggdd

Jul 12, 2011
    yep, E will cause the same issue.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:nope she was treating with an antibiotic for a month not corrid or sulmet....still sounds like cocci:( the drunkeness is weakness in the chick-

10. eggdd

Jul 12, 2011
    isn't dumor getting recalled. i think i just read that.

where are you keeping your chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by