chicks dying in the first week

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 808birdman, Nov 3, 2013.

1. 808birdman

808birdman New Egg

Oct 30, 2013
    Hi, I have a question about my new flock of chicks.

I just got 200 chicks shipped to me. the shipment was a assortment of breeds including black Cornish, jumbo x rock, red rangers, and more.... They all arrived healthy and kept separated in brooder boxes about a week ago. Just today I noticed 2 chicks were dead and 2 more looked sick.

Should I cull the sick ones?

Is that amount of deaths normal, or should I be concerned about an outbreak of disease?

thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    4 sick or dead chicks out of 200 seems pretty good to me. Many chicks are weak or get stressed from shipping. This time of year there can be freezing temperature. Sometimes it takes a week or so to see the stress. I would treat them if you can rather than cull them. Electrolytes and vitamins in the water are helpful, and dipping each chick's beak into water when they first arrive is good to show them how to drink.

3. 808birdman

808birdman New Egg

Oct 30, 2013
    Thanks eggcessive ,

Yeah a few more died but they all seem better now and very active. The breed I lost the most of was jumbo Cornish x white rock. The dark Cornish seem to be doing the best and eating the most.

E

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by