Chicks dying like crazy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fowled-out, Nov 11, 2010.

1. fowled-out

fowled-out Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Hey guys I need some help! I have some black copper maran chicks I bought from a local breeder here and lately they have been dying like crazy. Out of 6 chicks, there's only 2 left. Every morning I wake up one will die. They have no vaccinations, so I don't know what is going on. They were eating fine then all of a sudden just died. Anyone know what is going on here? The brooder temp is fine and they have plenty of food and water. Don't know what is going on.

2. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    More details please.

have you contacted the person from whom you bought them?

3. fowled-out

fowled-out Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Well, after the first 2 chicks died, I sanitized everything in bleach. The brooder was sprayed down with lysol and all feeding equipment bleached. Fresh bedding was always replaced every other day. The symptoms are the chicks not very active and then I'll find them laying on their side suffering until it just dies. They have sorta a pale eye. That's just it. The brooder temp is 98-99 degrees for 2 week old chicks. My other welsummer chicks are doing well, they are vaccinated though. Could it be coccidios? Mareks? I am out of ideas.

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    What kind of bedding are they on?
    What do their poops look like?
    Also, the brooder temp should be 95 for the 1st week and decreasing 5 degrees each week after that. They may be too hot, can they get away from the heat?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Sounds like they may be getting over heated. That's too warm for 2 week old chicks.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Sounds like they may be getting over heated. That's too warm for 2 week old chicks.

X2, much too warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by