Chicks dying randomly

amanda223

Songster
Mar 22, 2017
I hope I’m putting this under the right thread. Anyways I ordered pure bred eggs from a lady and had a terrible hatch rate (6 out of 24) which was by far my worst ever. The lady shipped me 24 more eggs and I had two Broody hens and a friend had one Broody hen so I split the eggs up. Hatch dat I went and found a dead baby beside a broody hen and I removed it thinking she may have killed it. In the evening I found another dead one by my other Broody hen, then a dead one that was only half out of the egg. I ended up removing some eggs and throwing them in the incubator. Two hatched and I snuck them under my veteran Broody. They were completely fine for a week and then just randomly died. No sign of injury at all. My friends Broody only hatched out two and those died on day 5. Now one of my first hatched from the same place has died in my coop at 6 weeks old. Any idea what if going on?! I am so frustrated. I am at a loss.

Could be a problem with that lady’s breeding stock if even your friend who doesn’t live near you had hers die as well.

What breed were they? Did you ask the person if they’ve had similar issues with other customers? Or is there a place to read reviews from them?

Ayam Cemani, Orpington and Silver Laced Wyandotte were the breeds.

The first time I messaged her after my bad first hatch she said she hadn’t heard of anyone else having a problem. Her reviews were all good. I will message her again.

Back
Top Bottom