Chicks dying -- second batch, first losses!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheRaraAvis, Oct 18, 2013.

1. TheRaraAvis

TheRaraAvis New Egg

Oct 18, 2013
    We just got 26 chicks in yesterday, and two died right away, arching backs and falling over then foaming at the mouth when they died. I checked all the chicks of them for pasty butt last night, but today another one is fading out -- lethargic and tipping over.
    I tried dipping her beak in water, and she seemed thirsty but arches her head back so far to drink that she tips herself over. We have some molasses and vinegar in the water.
    Is there anything I can do? Is this an illness that could hurt the others?
    Thanks! We did a batch of broilers last year, but had no illness problems (Freedom Rangers) These guys are Golden-Laced Wyandottes and Speckled Sussex
    [​IMG]

2. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Several questions.
    1. Were they vaccinated for cocciditis at the hatchery?
    2. Apple cider vinegar?
    3. Any other symptoms?

And I would separate her immediately, and look into farm stores in the area that sell corid, as that is very common with young chicks.

3. TheRaraAvis

TheRaraAvis New Egg

Oct 18, 2013
    That one died as well
    1) I don't think they were vaccinated, what happens when they get cocciditis?
    2) Yes, we're giving them a little molasses and Apple Cider Vinegar in their water

Everyone else seems chipper, hope this is the end of it!
    We got them from a hatchery that doesn't seem to have a great record for healthy chicks but gives refunds. :p

4. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    It's a very common disease in chicks that is cured very easily if caught in time. Just put some corid in their water, I think 2 tsp per gallon. They aren't really showing symptoms though.... the lethargy and dying so quickly with only some severe symptoms is a lot like it. And by arched back, could you mean puffed up? That is a symptom. With those two combined and them having died so quickly, especially with three dying, one showing symptoms later, I would purchase corid.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    X2 get the corid it kills all 9 strains of cocci. It goes by the name of corid or amprollium or amprol depending on where you live. Its all the same product. Coccidosis can still be present WITHOUT bloody feces depending on the strain and area its in
    in the intestine. Amprollium or corid or amprol is a
    excellent medication for cocci. Other meds only kill SOME strains while corid kills all 9. Coccidosis symptoms can be as subtle as being puffed up or acting "off" sometimes they appear very sleepy.
    Mostly lethergic. And certain strains can make them
    have bloody feces but not all strains. Most of the
    time if the chick is "off" not acting as usual it usually
    has coccidosis. Its extremely common. All soil
    carries cocci. If they get too much exposure before
    gradual immunity happens they can get coccidosis.
    Its also spread through feces of a infected bird. I
    would treat with the amprollium or corid or amprol.
    This should help take care of the issue. You can find
    it at the farm store under one of these names. I hope this is helpful and wish you the best.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  6. NatureChica

NatureChica Chillin' With My Peeps

If chicks have no other symptoms except shedding intestines it is coccid..as well?
    Healthy chicks. Had them for 30 hours and I found two intestinal sheds in their water.
    They're on probiotics and electrolytes and I'm waiting for someone in here to tell me if I need cordid or what I can use? We intend to eat them someday and I'm not a big believer in overmedication. I do what's necessary so please advise.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by