Chicks dying suddenly- no symptoms

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ludachicks, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ludachicks

ludachicks New Egg

Oct 24, 2013
    I had six chicks, 1 Maran, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Americauna and 3 Silkies. I got the first 3 from one breeder and the other 3 from another, all six at 2 weeks. I had the for a week with no incident but the 3 Silkies have all died suddenly in the last two days. Almost no symptoms. They were eating, pooping and drinking up until several hours before they died. Then they lie down and breathe heavily and die within several hours.

One of the Silkies was pasting up several days before she died but that seemed over. They also were not growing nearly as fast as the other three and were getting pushed around (but not pecked). Temperature is good, pine bedding, lots of water and chick starter. I did feed them a small amount of hard boiled egg as a treat but I heard that that should be fine.

Is it possible that they died from being pushed around or does it sound like a disease? Could the three from one breeder have caught something from the other breeder? I am so worried that the other three will catch this!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If the Silkies weren't growing as fast, they may have had something internally wrong with them. Pushing around by other chickens could have stressed them out, causing them to die. Did it look like they were eating enough? If other birds pushed them around, they may have prevented them from eating enough.

I'm really not sure what could be wrong with them. Most diseases cause more symptoms. Any strange droppings or droopiness? Coccidiosis would have been one of my guesses, if they had more symptoms. Did they have large crops? Sometimes chicks eat wood shavings, and this can impact their crops. Still, I don't think it would have killed them so quickly.

3. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    [​IMG]

Chicks in brooder

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  4. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    [​IMG]

Blind baby

5. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Oh for God's sake, sorry, thought I was uploading on my own thread but somehow I'm on someone else's :(
    Sorry, must be my stupid phone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by