Chicks Dying, There is Nothing I Can Do

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cmchickens, Feb 20, 2015.

1. cmchickens

cmchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    My box of 100 chicks shipped on the 17th. I have no idea where they are, because of a "glitch" (the Post Office's word) in the tracking system. I know that I won't get them today, because my Post Office only gets shipments once a day, in the early morning. I've called all the Post Offices in our state that they might be at, and no body has them. I don't know what else to do. My babies are dying. I'm so upset.

2. ladybead

ladybead Out Of The Brooder

I understand how upsetting it is. I am waiting on my chicks to come and they were shipped on the 18th and only scanned 1 time. Rose

3. cmchickens

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    I found them. They are 450 miles away from us. They have 2 more post offices to go through before they get to us. They will not be here until tomorrow morning. There is no place that I can go to pick them up along the way. They will be four days old when they get here. I fear none will be alive.

4. ladybead

ladybead Out Of The Brooder

Wow that is awful. One would think that the post office would give more priority to live animals being shipped. Rose

5. SimplyLogan

SimplyLogan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Cajun Country
    Sorry to hear that, let us know how they arrive. I'm sure its something going on with the post office, but I was curious where you ordered them from, like what state? I have been afraid to order chicks or eggs from to far in fear that may happen.

6. cmchickens

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    They are from Townline Poultry Farm in Zeeland, Michigan. This is the first time I have ever had problems with chicks in the mail. I've ordered from McMurray in Iowa, Cackle in Missouri, and Meyer in Ohio. I have never had a dead on arrival from any of them. I have always had chicks delivered in 2-3 days. I do not believe this is the hatcheries fault, nor do I believe that this is a common occurrence with the post office. But I think it is heart breaking that it has happened. I can't believe they would be so careless with live animals.

7. SimplyLogan

Jan 12, 2012
    Cajun Country
    It's good to hear you have had good luck in the past ordering. I ordered from Meyer for the first time and I'm a little nervous. I will keep my fingers crossed and say a little prayer for you. I'm glad your hubby will be home.

8. cmchickens

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    Just got a call from a post office a couple towns over. All the chicks are dead. I'll still have to go pick them up tomorrow.

9. Cinta

Cinta New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    Oh my! This is heartbreaking! My heart goes out to you and your chicks. It's so disappointing that they didn't do something like feed them or give them water - They're live animals!
    I really do hope you're alright. You're not the only one. [​IMG]

-Cinta

10. SimplyLogan

Jan 12, 2012
    Cajun Country
    That is just awful! [​IMG] I hope you can get some explanation of what happened. I'm so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by